The demands on the control function in companies are changing. The focus is increasingly on the challenge of efficiently combining cost, benefit and risk management. Risk defense and indemnification options are coming into the focus of companies and their tax departments.
Increasing digitalization in the tax sector is also leading to far-reaching changes in data exchange with the tax authorities and in tax audits. Here, too, it is important to position oneself optimally for the future, with the selection of the right technologies playing an increasingly important role.
Our services in the field of law regarding fiscal offenses & tax risk management
We have many years of experience, a high level of expertise in tax law and the law regarding fiscal offenses, and the ability to assert ourselves both in tax disputes and in criminal proceedings. We analyze our clients’ tax structures and thus contribute to either identifying criminal tax risks at an early stage or to assisting and representing companies, for example, in the context of tax audits or qualified voluntary self-disclosures. The same applies to tax investigation proceedings. In particular, we have proven expertise in the assessment of highly complex structures.
Adequate tax risk management means thinking outside the box. Many risks lie outside the immediate sphere of influence of the tax departments and in interfaces. Timely and continuous involvement of the tax department is a key element in connection herewith.
Tax, legal and business aspects as well as internal processes have to be interlinked. Our goal is to pursue an integrated approach – nationally and internationally. Through our international network, we also cover relevant issues globally and support you worldwide.
An essential component of efficient tax risk management is the establishment and documentation of an effective tax compliance management system. In addition to protecting management and the tax department, it provides important starting points for tax optimization.
Frequently, the introduction and ongoing maintenance of a tax compliance management system is also used in order to make adjustments to organizational structures, processes and systems and to align the function of the tax department to meet future needs.
Additional benefits arise from the creation of procedural requirements for...
- ...holistic automation and digitalization by including the necessary tax-relevant aspects (e.g., VAT as part of the invoice approval processes)
- ...realization of cost reductions through the development and utilization of a systematized provision of information (e.g., for increasing the input tax key/optimizing the tax rate).
- ...a higher-level cost transparency (e.g., through the development and integrated application of cost center, cost unit systematics).
- ...optimizing the pricing of internal and external services (e.g., in the context of withholding tax deduction relevant matters / creation of contract databases).
- ...an orderly and tax-efficient implementation of the company’s growth ambitions (e.g., linking of customer-relevant tax features with product taxes, involvement of the tax department in product developments).
- ...a tax-optimized structuring of corporate strategic decisions (e.g., in the context of corporate acquisitions and / or foreign investments).
Our services in the field of Tax Compliance Management Systems (TCMS)
- "Health Check", i.e., determining the TCMS’s maturity level and the need for further steps to be taken
- Assist in the implementation of a holistic TCMS
- Cooperation in the documentation of the TCMS
- Ongoing support in the further development and maintenance of existing TCMSs
- Audit / certification of the Tax Compliance Management System according to IDW PS 980 in the form of an adequacy and / or effectiveness audit
Our goal is to create a practicable tax compliance management system specifically tailored to the respective company, which provides reliable and efficient support and guidance in the practical handling of all relevant tax issues.
In this context, the performance of periodic tax audits has proven its worth. These serve the ongoing review, adjustment and documentation within the scope of the tax compliance management system as well as the targeted evaluation of risks and opportunities during a tax compliance management system’s existence. Selective tax audits can serve several purposes and can be conducted for various reasons. In addition to ongoing documentation as part of a tax compliance management system, we also perform validations in the run-up to due diligence audits or changes of the board of directors and provide support in the preparation of tax audits.
Future trends are also emerging in the conduct of tax audits. There will be a shift from small-scale case-by-case analyses toward data analysis, the determination of key audit issues and the examination of internal processes. Documents relating to a tax compliance management system will become increasingly important in this context. This is clearly shown by developments in other countries. We will gladly support and accompany you in all phases of the tax audit.